Friday, April 16, 2010

Boston Homebrew Patriot Pt. 1 - Introduction

Fact: I am a Sherman. Before undertaking any new large venture, we Shermans (Shermen) do hours of research, pro con lists, and meditating on the subject.

Making my own beer was always an interest of mine, but one that was stayed on the backburner for a long time.

I love beer, and in looking through my receipts for tax day, I realize my bank account doesn't. I don't drink every day, in fact I only drink on weekends. Even so, with taxes, Boston prices, etc., a six pack of good beer (Harpoon, Sam's, Magic Hat, etc) runs $10 at least. Take $10 - $20, week after week, month after month, and it really starts to add up.

On many occasions it also forced me to sacrifice beer quality for price (I'm looking at you, PBR). So, I decided to take a stand!

In the spirit of localism, thriftiness, hobbying, slow food and amidst the bleak Boston winters that leave little options for outdoor activities, I decided to start making my own beer. Maybe not all the beer I drank, but at least some of it, would come from my own labor and work.

The first stop for my homebrew journey was the same as it is for virtually everyone else: Mr. Beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment